From inception, AFCAC was technically, administratively and financially managed by ICAO through African member State’s contributions. AFCAC became autonomous from ICAO management on 1st January 2007.
- Coordinating civil aviation matters in Africa and cooperating with ICAO and all other relevant organizations and other bodies which are involved in the promotion and development of civil aviation.
- Facilitating, coordinating and ensuring the successful implementation of the Yamoussoukro Decision by supervising and managing Africa`s liberalized air transport industry.
- Formulating and enforcing appropriate rules and regulations that give fair and equal opportunity to all stakeholders and promote fair competition.
- Promoting understanding on policy matters between its Member States and States in other parts of the world.
- Fostering inter alia, the implementation of ICAO Standards and recommended Practices for the safety, security, environmental protection and regulatory of the aviation sector.
- Ensuring adherence to and implementation of Decisions of the Executive Council and Assembly.