IGAD aims to expand the areas of regional co-operation, increase the members' dependency on one another and promote policies of peace and stability in the region in order to attain food security, sustainable environment management and sustainable development.
The IGAD strategy is to attain sustainable economic development for its member countries. Regional economic co-operation and integration are given special impetus and high priority to promote long-term collective self-sustaining and integrated socioeconomic development. The leading principles of the IGAD strategy are stipulated in the agreement establishing IGAD, but are also mindful of the UN Charter and AU Constitutive Act.
IGAD's aims and objectives are to:
- Promote joint development strategies and gradually harmonise macro-economic policies and programmes in the social, technological and scientific fields;
- Harmonise policies with regard to trade, customs, transport, communications, agriculture and natural resources, and promote free movement of goods, services, and people within the sub-region;
- Create an enabling environment for foreign, cross-border and domestic trade and investment;
- Initiate and promote programmes and projects to achieve regional food security and sustainable development of natural resources and environmental protection, and encourage and assist efforts of member states to collectively combat drought and other natural and man-made disasters and their consequences;
- Develop a co-ordinated and complementary infrastructure in the areas of transport, telecommunications and energy in the sub-region;
- Promote peace and stability in the sub-region and create mechanisms within the sub-region for the prevention, management and resolution of interstate and intrastate conflicts through dialogue;
- Mobilise resources for the implementation of emergency, short-term, mediumterm and long-term programmes within the framework of sub-regional cooperation;
- Facilitate, promote and strengthen co-operation in research development and application in science and technology.
PROFILE: INTERGOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY ON DEVELOPMENT (IGAD)
BP 2653 : +253-354 050 / 352 880
Djibouti Fax: +253-356 994 / 284